Old 09-28-21, 01:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by The_woo
There are very few options to buy a new bike that's not at least 'tubeless ready' these days anyway.
Tubeless ready is no different than traditional tires and tubes.

Experiences like ours are not going to help sell tubeless anything in the near future.
Then you should be happy. Perhaps that will stem the tide of the bike industry "pushing" this horrific newfangled technology on unsuspecting riders like you.

Can you name some? I've not heard of anyone online claiming success with other plug types for road use.
Muc-Off, for one.

Disc brakes don't need maintenance multiple times a year with the exact sealant already used to set them up, and aren't something that every rider is goes prepared to fix the old version of whenever they ride.
You have to go above and beyond if you're pushing gimmicky new technology.
Actually, disc brakes do need to be bled from time to time, and you do want to match the type of fluid. That you're calling tubeless tires "gimmicky" tells me you're just grinding your axe.

they are extra keen not to be seen as helpless damsels in distress, but have been left stuck by this new tech. Many of them only started riding seriously in the last year or two.
Then their dilemma is not unique to tubeless tires; a new rider, regardless of gender, is going to also have to learn to deal with tubes, patch kits, CO2, etc. It's just a matter of learning and preparedness, just like any other "tech."

Wheels maybe, but all mid-range & above bikes are at least 'tubeless ready' in shops near me.
Tubeless ready bikes typically come set up with tubes, just like a conventional tire. You're manufacturing your victimhood.

Expecting buyers to be an expert in new untested tech that less than 1% of road cyclist have experience with is going to create bad experiences, especially when the giant retailer selling the bikes doesn't even sell the appropriate plugs & boots to have a chance of fixing them.
(a) Tubeless tech is hardly untested. (b) All riders have to learn every "tech" at some point, regardless of what it is. (c) Where'd you get your 1% number? (d) If your retailer doesn't sell the gear that your riding demands, use another shop.

Look, I get it. You don't like tubeless tires. So don't run them. But to claim that no one has any choice but to use them, that no one has any obligation to learn how to use them, and that bike shops and manufacturers are obligated to provide you with the knowledge and equipment to repair them is nonsense. Take responsibility for your choices.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-28-21 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For Rolla: