Old 11-15-21, 10:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Lights have a high failure rate; or just bad luck?

Prior to this year I didn't do a lot of night riding, but things have changed and I'm finding it fun as is the rest of the family, which means we've been adding lights.

So far, I've had one niterider fall off its mount after 3 rides and is gone to who knows where.
Bought a Light and Motion 2000 lumen light, wouldn't turn on from the beginning. It wouldn't charge with the cord it came with but would with one of the two cords I already had, not the other though. Didn't matter how many times I held down both buttons or for how long, it wasn't turning on. Holding down the buttons while it was charging did get the 3 green flashes that indicated it was unlocked, still wouldn't turn on. It went back.
Last night my Cygolite Metro 1100 randomly decided to stop working. Push the button and doesn't turn on, hold the button and it just starts flashing but stops the moment the button is released. Bought it in May of this year, so far 2 mtb rides and about 6 rides with the local youth track team my kids train with. Not a single scratch on the light.
This was on top of the mount for my 15 year old sigma light failing, I improved a repair that will probably hold long term though I doubt the let can ever be removed from the mount again. 1st gen LiIon battery that still goes strong and still seems to put out 500 Lumen.

Currently have a replacement Cygolite on the way. I've also ordered 2 Leznye 1300xxl lights since they're on sale and I haven't heard bad things about them.
Seems like a bad run of luck with 2 randomly not working and 2 with mount issues.