Old 04-05-22, 09:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am sorry, what is your point?
You are suggesting the reason there are cuesheets is because "there are still plenty of cue sheet only riders out there".

There are still plenty of cue sheet only riders out there. I cannot imaging them going way on brevets.
The reason cuesheets are provided is because the rules of running brevets requires them. No one is exactly required to use them.

Mine was simply that I cannot imagine cuesheets going away and by extension, no need to buy a GPS anytime soon.

It would be nice to eliminate the paper brevet card and having to stop so often for sugar and a receipt but electronic passage prolly won't happen in my lifetime.
Rules are hard to change and there's "tradition" stuff too. It would also be hard to require people spend as much as $600 for a device and there's the problem of which sorts of devices would be acceptable. And, if an organization requires a device, they also might get stuck having to support people's use of those devices.

By not requiring GPS, the organizers avoid having to deal with the inevitable complaints from people about the route not being good, the GPS not working, running out of batteries, the maps being bad, etc.

Passing out cuesheets and not getting involved with alternatives is much simpler.

Mine was simply that I cannot imagine cuesheets going away and by extension, no need to buy a GPS anytime soon.
The reason to buy a GPS is really to make your ride better (not because it's a requirement). I'm much faster with a GPS.

Given the amount of time people spend riding and training for long distance riding, it's not clear why people would stick to cuesheets (outside of "challenge" or "tradition").

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-05-22 at 10:54 AM.