View Single Post
Old 04-07-22, 10:43 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I spend the time to edit the rwgps generated cue-sheet on my routes. It's the same cuesheet that pops up on the gps directions so it needs to be checked...,
Presumably, you are using some Garmin Edge model. The things that "pop up" are what Garmin calls "course points". These can be enabled or disabled. And, indeed, RWGPS writes its cuesheet items as "course points".

You can also enable "turn guidance" on the Edges (the ones that use maps). These are turn instructions (and the big white arrows) that are generated entirely on the Edge. They are completely separate from "course points".

One big problem with the course points is they pop-up, by default, at the turn on the map. I found they often pop-up after the turn. RWGPS has an option to move course points earlier in the track (it's a paid feature). This would make the course points show up before the turn.

...and rwgps makes it easy to do with their "review cues" button... it literally reviews every single cue on the route. The generated cue sheets in my area are full of entries like this: "Turn right onto Gerber Rd/​Twp Rd 1 E (signs for Gerber Road)" and the road signs often only have the name on it instead of the road number, so all that stuff has to get removed so pop-up on the gps is legible. This also makes audio cues for the app a lot more useful since they actually match the street signs. It takes a lot of time to do this, especially if one is checking street-view to make sure the signs match the cuesheet, they often don't around here, or sometimes there is no street sign.
This is a useful RWGPS and it makes sense to tweak them if you rely on course points.

If you use the map screen, you really don't need to see the course point text. You really only need the direction (and you don't really even need that if you use the map).

One reason not to edit the cuesheet on RWGPS is needing to redo all that work if the route gets updated.

I'd guess it's at least an half an hour to do a 200k, depending on how many turns there are. I pre-rode my 200 and 300k routes but I feel like pre-riding a 400/600k is a bit much of an ask, unless someone wants to pay me to do it.
Ideally, one would be able to do these rides cold. They won't always be in places you can pre-ride.

We did e-pop during the pandemic, I thought it was pretty great, folks could send in their gps file or a link to strava/rwgps along with a photo of their control card. We've never required reciepts for as long as I've been a member, and during the pandemic we encouraged people to sign their own cards.I'm sure people without a gps can still just mail the control card to the chapter VP if they don't own a digital camera.
It would be more interesting if they continued to use EPOP after the pandemic.