View Single Post
Old 07-11-22, 10:22 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by steve21108
Interesting post, and fantastic picture, but I would bet simply a part number would not help. OEM information lost to time, and tracking any remaining inventory would be hard. Is the hub marked SA? Measurements similar to what is on this page might lets the holder of the parts measure id them. (Tried to post the Wheels Manufacturing cone measuring link, but I still have not reached the magical 10 posts on Bikeforums.)

Would be best to salvage some from another hub, or chuck up the used cones and regrind the bearing surface with some carbon sandpaper on a dowel. Following the radius. Not sure how hard they are, but if pitted at least it would cost less? Not having any of my 20s around, and if that picture shows the actual cones, it looks like they also have the dropout recess. I know Union supplied Raleigh with many of their early 70s steel hubs. Not as high quality as the SA or Raleigh factory hubs that I have seen.
I stole that picture from an old thread. Not from my bike, but just about every Raleigh 3 speed I've seen has similar cones with raised ring w/o locknuts.

I could buy another front wheel--I've bought several over the years just for the cones--but I'd prefer not to buy any more wheels.

They have parts in boxes--they're not going to measure anything. If I need a pawl spring, I tell them HSA-120 and they say yes or no. I need a number for the cones. Kurt's Headbadge page (https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_sp_1_P2.html) has some old numbers, but none of them work...