View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 06:06 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I bought a 1975 Raleigh Sports off eBay. The hub is stamped March 1974, frame serial number says May 1975, made in Handsworth (Birmingham). The shifter is still the clear cover version that would go with a 1974 hub. UPS dropped the box on the side or ran it over with a forklift or something, and the hub indicator chain and spindle were mangled and had to be replaced, but happily there was no other damage. The bike shop folks looked it over and made sure everything was tuned up. Everything is generally in great condition, very clean. I bet it wasn't ridden very much at all.

I'll probably want to get a slightly larger cog; the current one is 17t. I'll put Kool Stop Continental brake pads on and change the tires eventually. I'm thinking down the road I might get a bottle dynamo and move over the lights I had on my Pashley Roadster. Any recommendations on bottle dynamo models? And has anyone managed to somehow mount a modern headlight using the existing heron bracket?

I've only taken it around the block so far, and I still have to tweak the saddle and handlebar positions, but it's a lot of fun to ride. Much zippier than my Roadster was!

Likes For Chesterton: