Old 07-14-22, 11:28 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Do you feel the shorter wheelbase is an issue? I have always gone up a size frame if there was a significant difference in wheelbase. I like the stability of a longer wheelbase but now, as I am shrinking with old age, the larger frame seems to cause too many other issues with my back and shoulders. I am probably between two different styles/sizes of frames and need to look into a custom frame. That said I question how much time I have left on a bike as the back surgery I had in 2001 seems to be catching up to me at 73. I might just take up walking for exercise and sell the bikes. Very frustrating. Thanks again to all that have tried to post a positive response and know I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Frank.
Yeah, I generally much prefer a longer wheelbase. Whereas with most bikes the smaller sizes can really jump down in wheelbase length. (My preference is in the Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. range, give or take, if I had my druthers.) But I wouldn't say it's an issue, as such.

Old injuries from running, myself. So, I'm in much the same boat with respect to how long I might have left for cycling. But a smaller frame with fairly upright posture seems to work; and a rower seems to work. Assuming the fit is "right."

I've also been considering custom geometry. Haven't yet sprung for that. But I'm sure R&E Cycles (Rodriguez) will be getting a call from me, at some point. I hear they have one with my name on it ... once we get past the custom specs, step-through frame and other doo-dads.
Likes For Clyde1820: