View Single Post
Old 05-30-15, 01:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I must admit...

There have been moments when I know the light has been green for a period of time.
So I'll speed up to try to get across, and inevitably it turns yellow at about the time I hit the crosswalk, and perhaps red halfway through the light. There still is a buffer between me and any incoming cars as long as they aren't timing the lights at full speed.

Anybody Else?

But, if the light turns red while I'm 50 feet from the intersection, I'm not going to continue on my merry way.

One thing that would be nice is for all crosswalks to always run with a timer, so one has an indication of how many seconds left on the light cycle.

Anyway, here are a few snaps from the video.

For whatever reason one can see the transition between colors on the video pretty clearly (slow exposure?)

The cyclist is quite some distance from the intersection when the light turns yellow, and still at least 50 feet away when it turns red.
The bus is stopped (not cruising timing lights), then starts moving before the bike broadsides it.

Brakes or no brakes, the cyclist clearly isn't reacting to the traffic signals and traffic conditions. He had time to put both feet on the ground and skid if necessary.

As far as sudden brake failure, I suppose it can happen, perhaps with an emergency stop. However, there was plenty of time to stop here, no slamming on the brakes and skidding needed. I've been 50 miles into a ride when one of the brake cables started fraying to the point of no return. Coming down a mountain I knew there was a closed steel gate... I was ready for that gate a mile before I got to it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BusCrash_1_Green_Yellow.jpg (40.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
BusCrash_2_Yellow_Light.jpg (30.8 KB, 12 views)