View Single Post
Old 05-01-21, 08:54 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
1982 Miyata 1000 with issue

I rescued this Miyata 1000 from my local co-op yesterday where it has been sitting for over 3 years. It seemed too nice to sit there, but was not my size though. A local swap meet is next week here in NW Ohio, so I thought of finding a good home for it. Unfortunately upon cleanup I discovered the non stock pedal JB epoxied in on the drive side and a right handed threaded pedal screwed in on the non drive side. That probably relegates the pretty crank to junk status and is perhaps why this bike was donated. I may visit my LBS to see if they have the expensive taps and inserts and do a job like that.

Frame number and components say 1981, but catalog pics show this color and graphics as 1982. I believe it looks all original except the tires and missing stock pedals. Nice components with little use on this one. It catalogs as a 25" to top of seat tube which hurts resale too. Actual measurements are about 62cm seat tube and 58cm top tube and 34" standover. I only just cleaned it up a bit and pulled the BB and steering head which were fine. The front Sansin Gyromaster hub spins forever while the rear needs lube and adjusted. I just couldn't watch this one get beat up in the rack at the co-op, which is where most of the scratches came from I would bet. A good polish would pretty things up on this one. Thoughts??

Edit; That isn't a dent in the top tube near the head in the 3rd picture. It is actually a slight run in the factory paint which I found a bit surprising for Miyata.

1982 Miyata with both racks even

I might keep this front rack

cyclone components

Last edited by sd5782; 05-01-21 at 09:10 AM. Reason: additional info