Old 07-12-21, 06:35 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Wow, I need heart surgery, wasn't expecting that!

Oh the joys of getting old and then, older. I've been experiencing a bit of chest pain when riding faster or uphill, didn't think much of it at the time. On July 3rd I was on my way to get my 2nd vaccination dose and I experienced severe angina walking to the bus and on the bus. I was going to meet with a friend after the shot for coffee, instead I called them and asked if they could take me to the hospital. Things happen fast when you walk into ER and say you're having chest pain! I was tested, x-rayed, ECG, given a nitro patch, hooked up to a heart monitor and admitted to the cardiac ward at our best hospital. Two days later I had an angiogram which showed that I require bypass surgery - just a bit of a shock! So I'm waiting until July 16th when the surgery will take place. I was told that I didn't actually have a heart attack, that the heart muscles are fine, and its just my old veins that are suffering from years of North American diet. I told the cardiologist that I cycle regularly and ride my bike to work, he said that bodes very well for a full recovery, saying "you have the heart of a younger man and you should be able to ride a lot harder and faster after recovery which should only take about 6 weeks in your case." Great news and it demonstrates the health benefits of cycling.
I'll let you all know how it goes and when I'm out on my bike in September.

Cheers