View Single Post
Old 08-30-21, 08:13 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
High millage chain rings

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
is it just us cranky old guys who ride the heck out of our bikes?
C&V folks tend to be cheapskates !

But that said, "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" ("but the bike has about 60,000 miles on it")....

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My recent T.A. ring purchase was the replacement for a cheap Vuelta ring. The Vuelta wasn't expensive, but also wasn't very durable. It was pretty badly worn, and if I was paying attention, I'd have replaced it sooner. A quick photo....

It's a shame that I don't know how many miles are on this ring. Steve in Peoria (but the bike has about 60,000 miles on it)
Looks like it's ready for shark's fin soup!

In the dry southwest back in the 70's, we came up with a theory that using a thin chain lubricant allowed fine grit to embed into the alloy teeth on aluminum chain rings. It could cause chains to wear faster but they were cheaper than chainrings.

We imported Sedis chain on 50 and 100 meter spools. We calculated our cost was about $3.00 a chain - dirt cheap. I replaced my chains every 3000 miles.

Fortunately I put a lot of those old chain in baggies and squirreled them away. Several years back I was looking for a chain for my 1967 PX-10. I pulled out those old Sedis chains that I'd kept and measured them all. Every one was still good!
(who's cheap now).

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: