JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Too late now, but there is a tool called a thread file. For next time.
Originally Posted by merziac
If they are for sure the exact same threads when new, then a good strategy and you could also make a chaser out of a FW body by cutting groove/slots in it but as already stated, you needed a thread file when you started this or a very good small triangle file. Have saved many cups and BB's with a right angle pick to scribe all threads very clean and better to start the process. From there it takes a very light touch and anti seize to get compromised threads started, very hard to feel the first thread "catch" and know if its aligned perfectly without causing more damage as you found.

I imagine French thread files to be pretty hard to come by but a good, small, sharp triangle or single thread one.

I know you're past this so like Mr. Thompson said, if the cup goes in all the way and can be tightened well, you should be good to go.

On this I would use super glue or at least red loctite with clean dry threads and get it good and tight.
A thread file tool… I didn’t know about and used a hand saw, that says all about my knowledge of the matter

the French cup pitch is 1mm, so I searched for a metric thread file, is it something like the one in the picture below I should have used?

happy to read the FW method was not so wacky, the result doesn’t seem so bad given how the cup goes in but I needed better trained eyes to confirm. I will try to go with it and use some loctite as suggested, isn’t the red one too strong? I never used it but how likely is that the cup will stay there forever and be impossible to remove if need be…?

in any case, many thanks to all of you !!!