View Single Post
Old 07-05-22, 04:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
A thread file tool… I didn’t know about and used a hand saw, that says all about my knowledge of the matter

the French cup pitch is 1mm, so I searched for a metric thread file, is it something like the one in the picture below I should have used?

happy to read the FW method was not so wacky, the result doesn’t seem so bad given how the cup goes in but I needed better trained eyes to confirm. I will try to go with it and use some loctite as suggested, isn’t the red one too strong? I never used it but how likely is that the cup will stay there forever and be impossible to remove if need be…?

in any case, many thanks to all of you !!!

Thats the best kind to use and they have single bade ones kind of like a knife blade, as we know a hacksaw isn't tapered like a file. Well my hacking inclination is pretty strong having been a mech/tech all my life, drag racing mc's for 25 years and plenty else, many here don't agree with some of my methods but if you proceed with an abundance of caution and patience, you can succeed with some pretty unorthodox workarounds.

In general, any "loctite" other than red is an oxymoron, its not loctite if it doesn't hold semi permanent.

In this situation it seems likely to come loose more easily when already prone to do so.

Never had anything put up much of a fight, even with red, I would get this completely clean and dry and lock it down good. these are where I use my removal method setup to tighten these when I think they won't stay tight and it always gets them apart afterwards too.

This has never failed to remove a cup without any damage to the tools, parts, frames, paint or flesh.

The oldschool Sugino wrench is the key but others work with this when you trap them in place so you can really lean on them, adding a pipe when necessary.

Likes For merziac: