View Single Post
Old 10-17-22, 11:52 PM
circlemaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by circlemaker
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but not to cycling. However, I've been out of the saddle for a while (accident with hip fracture) and not very savvy about the newest bike tech. I would greatly appreciate your earnest, well considered advice.

In a nutshell, my question is, if being fast and competitive (informally) is important, should I buy a light weigh, or aero version of a Canyon or comparable road bike? Here are some factors to consider: 1) I'm small (5'7" and 145 lbs.). 2) My usual ridding terrain (Southern California) is mixed, i.e., mostly flat to hilly with several steep climbs on a typical 40-mile ride. And it can be quite windy along the coast).

I am aware that smaller riders like me have a weight-to-strength advantage that makes us better climbers than bigger riders (all else being equal). And I like accelerating past the bigger riders on hills. But smaller riders have more surface area per unit of muscle mass, making us less able to counter wind resistance. And I rarely ride in anyone’s draft (which I regard as mildly obnoxious).

I'm no physicist or mathematician, but my inclination is to go aero to help me on level ground (I'm not especially brave on descent). BUT, as a small rider, every ounce of bike weight is a bigger percentage of my weight than that of a bigger rider (3 lbs. is more than 2% of my weight vs less than 1.7% of a rider weighing 180 lbs.).

Is going aero at the expense of weight best for me?

Many thanks for your response!
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice. I rarely participate in online forums, and I am amazed at how many thoughtful and well-grounded responses I received. I am now more confident about buying a Canyon (after the 2023, hidden cable versions are available here), and will seriously consider the Endurance. I’m still a bit apprehensive about buying directly because I have never worked on hydraulic disc brakes (they didn’t exist even on mountain bikes when I worked in bike shops). ----- GhostRider62, I hope your trochanteric fracture doesn’t hold you back. My fracture was at the hip socket (acetabulum), which could have been disastrous. But I recovered quickly and should be OK until the post traumatic osteoarthritis catches up with me. ------ Genejockey’s postscript quote, “everybody’s gotta be somewhere” reminds me of something my logic professor at UCLA liked to say: “The statement, I am here now, is always true.” – David Kaplan ----- I’ll chime in again when I have a new bike to rave about. ----- Thanks, again!
Likes For circlemaker: