Old 03-17-23, 09:46 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by arug
I am a 5'3 1/2" 105 lb person. I'm looking for a 4130 single speed that will be agile, fun, light, and low maintenance. I'd like to have paroxysms of ecstasy from my ride to work if possible but I'm not sure if that's within the budget.

I've had my Specialized Hard Rock that is nearly 30% of my body weight and a real clunker, but still in great condition, for 23 years and am ready for the bike of my dreams. I will use it primarily for commuting. I put more miles on my bike than my car. I hardly ever shift and want to keep things simple but fairly high quality. As I am approaching 60 and at some point will start shrinking, I want a bike that will still fit me in 10 years. 20 years would be better. I prefer a more relaxed geometry.

I'm finding that the pickings are very slim for my size.

Here are some of the contenders:

Mercier Kilo TT (but maybe not the pro version, which is pushing the limit at 736 mm standover)
Fuji Feather (745 mm standover for 2021 version, 750 mm for current version, this is really too risky)
Wabi Classic 42 cm (if it's ever in stock again)
State 4130
Priority Ace
Dawes Streetfighter (like the relaxed geometry but will I have to replace many parts?)
Masi Uno (standover is 723 on the smallest so I have room to shrink)
Pure cycles original (local bike shop carries this one)

The only ones the locals can get for me are the Fuji and the Pure Cycles. They are willing to assemble and upgrade if I choose to order from BikesDirect. The only one I have tried is Pure Cycles and I'm pretty sure I can do better for the money. Anything else, I would have to order before trying. The pickings are slim to none on Craiglist and Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want this to be my forever bike but I resent that the market doesn't have much recognition for people of my size.

Thanks in advance!
I'm 5'2", 29" inseam and have a 42cm Wabi I got back in 2020. It's certainly a very nice bike. However, I find it very aggressive position-wise and almost too small. With all of the spacers under the stem, and the stem turned upwards at a 17d angle, I still have an almost 3" drop from my saddle to the (drop)bars. You say you're approaching 60. Depending on your flexibility (especially going into the next 10 years), it's just something to keep in mind. I can't assess your flexibility but I would be more inclined to say you might want to take the Wabi off your list of considerations.