View Single Post
Old 07-14-21, 12:52 AM
RobiEli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
tire clearance

I originally wanted clearance for 700x50 tires but in order to maintain room for 2 chain rings in the front, they recommended not going over 45mm in the back. Now that I have only 1 chain ring in the front I think I would have liked to go with the 50mm option but too late. I like the gearing so far with 44T in the front and 11-52T in the back. Still fast in the small gear and I can climb anything in that massive 52T. By the way if you want to order an SXR Pro rear derailleur, it fits the 52T without an extension. I was getting different opinions from different sellers on Aliexpress but it clearly works as is and my bike mechanic said there's no need for an extender. While I'm on the subject, the SRX Pro groupset is much better than I expected. The shifting isn't flawlessly smooth like my Shimano 105's but they are quite good. Only drawback so far is that the hoods are as hard as a rock so unless you have some nicely padded gloves, expect hand numbness. If the price of GRX levers ever come down in price I think I'll be getting some. Back to tire clearance, here are the schematics Tiorays sent me when we were discussing tire widths.

I bought MAXXIS Rambler gravel tires (also on Aliexpress) and have a 45mm tire in the back and 50mm in the front. The fork actually has room for a little more but 50mm is plenty. I don't even think there's anything available larger than that unless you go with a MTB 29" tire. Very comfortable 120 TPI tires and it's my first time going tubeless. I was considering one of these suspension seat posts but from the tires and the smooth ride quality of the TI frame and fork I don't think I need it. I don't have much gravel riding experience yet but so far so good. Instead of sticking to only the streets I'm now taking any rocky short cut I choose and hopping curbs with ease. It's quite satisfying!

Last edited by RobiEli; 07-14-21 at 01:20 AM.