Old 08-18-22, 06:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by razorjack
hey ! thanks for advices... haha it sounds 'easy' with HR (I wear HR strap and i have power meter), but the whole point of riding a bike is to GO HARD
so hitting 100%HR at the end of 10-15 mins climb is what I like (if legs are fresh).
but then, short climbs are too short to experience back pain. It happens on hard >20 min climbs - it's diffcult to keep high cadence on 1h ~8-12% climb
and yes, i can try to go slower (and also standing - which gives some relieve) on easier climbs - but this is not a point in climbs
probably my back is arching down - tight hip flexors?

I'll focus on stretching and training core muscles like all you recommended (deadlift, kettlebell swing, some other core related - like side planks with some movements etc.)
Two things can be at cause :

1) Your bike (improper fitt, size, bike geometry too aggressive for you, etc.)
2) Your body (improper position, not enough flexibility, being bent too much for too long, etc.)

If you already cleared the first one out of the list of possibilities, I'd work on your flexibility by stretching and training core muscles.

For the fact that you experience pain on hard climbs, is it a discomfort or is it pain? I don't believe it's abnormal to feel pain at some point. When climbing, your body is bent more than when you're riding on flat surface and for a longer period of time. You're struggling with your breath, you're in and out of the saddle often, you wiggle, etc. All of this can result in discomfort after such extensive effort.