Old 03-07-16, 10:31 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
FWIW, I have been riding a 2015 Sirrus Sport. Love the bike, but have been caught in the rain a couple times, and was not in love with the wet brakes. So came across a smoking deal on a Trek Allliant 7.2 with disc brakes, but it was WET WET WET and couldnt test ride it from the shop. Sale was two days ONLY, so bought it on a gamble, and because a friend wanted my Sirrus.
Finally get to ride the Trek, and it felt really sluggish, but it was windy, so wasnt certain it wasnt the wind. Few more rides, more wind, still sluggish. Finally this weekend, great weather, low wind, and a 23 mile ride on the Alliant that I had already been doing on my other bikes in the wind. Wanted to as fair as posible.
The result is the Alliant wiped my a$$ out, and Im sore for it. Took much longer too. Bike is a COLD MOLASSES SLUGGG! Its not just its ridiculously heavy at almost 30 pounds for a large, but rolling resistance is a killer. Going down a familar hill that I coast up to about 28 or 29 mph on the Sirrus got 23 to 24 on the Alliant, where the added weight should have increased the speed. I dont know the cause beyond the obvious tires and there is zero brake rub. All I know is that I have less than 100 miles on it, and Im probable going to sell it while its still like new.
In short IMHO the Sirrus is a FAR superior bike to the Allian 7.2. YMMV
An expensive lesson. Don't understand why you didn't just look into upgrading brake pads, or even brakes on your Sirrus Sport rlkather than selling a bike you loved for a bike you never even test rode.