Old 01-02-18, 11:02 PM
maallyn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Suggestions on Route From Bellingham to Edmonds Ferry Dock

Folks:

I don't know if this topic has been bashed about here in this forum previously or not, but I am planning a trip in the spring from Bellingham to Seabeck on the Hood Canal.

The route from Kingston to Seabeck seems to be simple (104 to 305 to 3 to Newberg Hill Road to Seabeck Road) and seems to be a no-brainer.

However, I am struggling for routing between the southern end of Chuckanut Drive (where it meets Bow Hill Road) to the Edmonds Ferry Terminal.

Looking at maps for routes (obviously not on I-5, which I think is illegal as well as not pleasant), I am seeing myself taking Bow Hill Road to Edison; getting on Farm to Market Road to where it meets SR 20 near Whitney, where it turns into Best Road south of SR 20.

That part I have already done and I am comfortable with it. In the past, I would go West to Whitney and then down to La Conner.

I have not gone south of SR 20 on Best Road.

I am guessing that traveling on Best Road should be similar to Laconner Whitney Road.

On maps, I see Best Road turning into Fir Island Road into Conway. Passing through Conway on the Amtrak Bus once (while it was on I-5) it seems to be fairly light traffic and not much different than my previous bike ride the La Conner.

Is this true? Has anyone gone from Bellingham to Conway by way of Best?

In Conway, it appears I would want to take Pioneer Highway south to East Stanwood. Can I assume that Pioneer would be similar to Best Road going into Conway?

In East Stanwood, I would see myself jig jogging slightly west through that town and getting on to Marine Drive.

Since I cannot see Marine Drive from I-5 nor Amtrak (which I take down to Seattle often); I have absolutely no idea what Marine Drive is like.

It appear that Marine Drive takes me clear down to Marysville, where it crosses I-5 and intersects with SR529, which appears to go over a bridge into Everett.

There is where I need help.

First of all, what is Marine Drive like between Conway/Stanwood and Marysville? If it sucks, what alternative can I use?

Now, how in heck do I get from Marysville through Everett to something that would get me to Edmonds without losing (a) my life and (b) my sanity? Is it Evergreen, which mutates to Pacific Highway (SR99)?

Or am I best to skip the whole Marine Drive to Everett route and use the Centenial Trail (which I have ridden before)?

Taking the Centenial; it would take me to Snohomish, but now I have no clue on how to get from Snohomish to the Edmonds Ferry Terminal.

I plan this trip sometime in Spring/Summer; now now in the Winter.

I am asking this question now because I am making plans for a multiple day trip to Seabeck and am trying to see how viable it is to do it by bicycle.

Thank you all.

Respectfully yours

Mark Allyn
Bellingham, Washington