Old 03-12-18, 09:34 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Pretty close, 17:40 out (with a terrible turn) & 14:00 back. Not as much wind as expected but I left a lot of time out there. One positive, I was very comfortable Aero. So the decision to do all of my interval work on the TT Bike this winter helped.

I think I need to push a little more gear training, and at times ignore the power meter. I'm not playing the terrain and giving away momentum on a couple of little rollers. I'm sure @Doge will have some fun with that statement.

So what did you wind up doing on outbound vs return legs, expressed as a %FTP? Exclude the poor turn if you want, or include it. I'm just really curious to hear how other people divvy these things up.

I'm not sure if you already do your TT interval work on the road, but I do almost all of mine on the road. My idea is that I want to become as good as I can be at dealing with terrain undulations and staying on a number. Who knows if I'm doing that right but its way easier for me to manage momentum now than when I first started.

As far as the power meter goes, to me its not about learning to ignore the power meter so much as not relying on it to lead you- ie don't chase a number. Its just one input you assess during the effort, the others being HR, resp rate/quality, and perceived exertion/how the legs feel. I try to loop through these brain inputs continuously. If any one of them make no sense- my HR is high, say, but everything else is fine- I don't ignore it so much as place less focus on its importance relative to other inputs.

Then of course in your post-race assessment, seeing those power numbers and relating them to your split times and environmental conditions, HR data and your recollections of RPE- very important part of the learning curve.

Keeping in mind that I'm the person who came in 4th out of 4 in my TT this past weekend. Although I did have a 3 time professional world champion in my race field. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.