Old 03-26-20, 10:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Airless tires are a wave of the past. They are great for not having to pump them but well that is really where it ends. Airless tires lead to a rougher ride that transfers every little imperfection to you the rider. They are certainly a huge improvement in comfort from solid iron tires but we haven't used those since the 1800s. It is hard to beat the comfort of a nice wide supple tire and with todays tubeless setups you don't really have to worry about flats as much. Weight can be a concern but not at the expense of ride quality.

I know there are plenty of evangelists for solid tires just like there are people who deny science or believe Justin Beeber is good music. I thank Mr. John Dunlop for bringing us pneumatic tires on bicycles and they were an excellent invention that has stood the test of time for well over 100 years.

You know thinking about it with the right compound they might make decent trainer tires for those using rear wheel trainers. Nice and smooth roller so no discomfort and the lack of pumping is quite handy because it is probably something many of us forget. They might also be handy for those in underdeveloped areas where a puncture could not easily be fixed. Beyond that I want the my slightly newer but still old school pneumatic tires.