View Single Post
Old 11-10-21, 08:10 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I signed up for my first 2022 season ride about a week ago, it's a 300 km ride the weekend after next (since the season starts in November). Until October I hadn't done any regular brevets in 2021 except for a Fleche in April, but then did two 200 km events last month.

I know many of the local randonneurs have lost their fitness due to so many cancelled events. Because I also do my regular "Century a Month" challenge (111 months and counting), it hasn't had too much impact on me. Yeah, the speed has been slower on my centuries than on Rando events, but I'm still used to the distances and I think that's the main thing.

I expect to go back on the usual schedule from January: Some 200s in January or March, a Fleche in April, then a 300 and 400 in April / May. I have not yet managed to complete a 600 under the time limit and thus make SR. It's most likely going to stay that way, unless I come across a very compelling 600 km event that even I could do in 40 hours.

The 300 should be interesting. It's going to be 300 km along the Pacific coast here in Japan, with almost the first half of it at night, along a coastal road that I have driven by car but never completely cycled.

It's getting colder, particularly at night, but last weekend I did a ride in a rural area where I rode over a mountain pass after sunset two nights in a row and think I'll be prepared.