View Single Post
Old 12-31-21, 10:08 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Wound up 2021 with a final 50 miler, which incidentally means 100 in the past week, a notable uptick in "slow season"

Our local road cycling club has a new year's day tradition of riding the noon temperature in Fahrenheit in miles, but between predicted rain and the realization that I'd be hard pressed to keep up with roadies on my hybrid (nevermind the unicycle that I find more fun) I decided to do my own solo ride on 12/31 instead. Cautiously configured it as a big loop west of home, and then optional continuation east, and ended up going for the option - it got dark and I turned on my lights, ended up running out a fall on a tree root crack (successfully staying on my feet) and began my cautious way back in, realizing that the goal of 45-47 miles was not only achieved, but making it a 50 was plausible. Ultimately ended up having to pass by the route to home a second time and cruise a mile back up the trail to round out the distance before heading for home.

Managed to see just a glimpse of NYE fireworks through the fog before I turned onto my street.

Stats wise, a lazy mere 1400-1500 miles this year. I could be proud that this is notably more than I drove, but realistically the just over hundred miles of it which was actually utility cycling that replaced car trips is outweighed by the roughly 200 car miles that specifically supported my cycling: getting rescued once, getting driven to the start of a one way ride, and a couple of trips to buy craigslist bikes, parts, and an exercise bike...

Last edited by UniChris; 12-31-21 at 10:14 PM.