View Single Post
Old 03-23-22, 09:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm pretty good with dead reckoning, but if there is a 10 mile stretch I used to get really anxious. I didn't use a computer, I found that to make me nervous because it never matched up to the cue sheet. I think the worst is a long stretch at night. I recall one long stretch of about 15 miles with a defective cue that was followed by a very long, steep climb. The other problem with cue sheets is you might be riding on a road that changes names ever few miles. Lots of people mess this one up when the do cue sheets. Each road name should be on the cue sheet. A gps totally gets rid of this problem.
It certainly adds to the adventure.

There are some places where making a cue sheet where it engenders confidence in a very tired rider is nearly impossible. In pennsylvania, the farm roads are on a grid, but the grid usually isn't complete. So you might go a short distance, turn 90 degrees, and so on. The road names change with each turn. There was one stretch on my fleche route where there were many such turns in a row. I borrowed this section of the route from Endless mountains 1200k, and I was very confused after all the turns when I rode that. And then when you're really feeling lost, there is a long downhill. Nobody wants to climb back up if it's not the right way. It happens that at the top of the hill there is a road off to the left that you don't go on. No reason to have it on the cue sheet, right? Except the next turn on the route is a left. So on EM, I stopped to make sure I didn't want to go that way, and then a couple of years later on the fleche we had a big argument about not going that way. Apparently having ridden it 3 times wasn't enough to convince some people on the team. So finally I just started riding the right way. Absent a map, you aren't going to be able to cue sheet yourself out of that level of confusion.
To some degree, your describing decades of cue sheet era randonneuring, right? Navigation was an active part of the experience, as was figuring yourself out of confusion. It's do-able, and no doubt some people still do.

Like most people who rode in that era, i have my stories. Some whoppers. I don't miss the confusion or bonus miles, but i do miss being more aware of where i am.