Old 08-07-22, 11:29 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Yes, a road bike is part of the rabbit hole I was speaking of, with an almost infinite number of options available. I don't know what your inclinations are about acquiring another bicycle and/or your mechanical skills/abilities but to go fast and have a good time you don't need the latest and greatest. There are hundreds of thousands of bikes that were once state of the art and a total kick to ride then and are a total kick to ride now, but are now 'obsolete' and almost discarded like an old shoe and so can be had for a decent price.
One caveat I would make is to make sure that there is clearance for at least for a 28c or better yet a 32c tire. If you are not familiar with the supple/larger tire revolution please read up on it. This is a case where you can have your cake and eat it too. A supple, lightweight tire in the above mentioned sizes with the appropriate tire pressure will increase your comfort as well as your speed.
How much would better wheels play in things . I have a Specialized Vado 4 that I picked up at an insurance auction very cheap because someone had stolen the battery , seat /tube . I ordered a battery 4 months ago. That bike weighs 12lbs more without the battery . I believe it's 48 with 10 speed cassette . I've ridden it on 20 mile rides . It is heavy so uphills it's harder . But on flats that thing rolls like it's on glass . I have to assume being a 4,000 Bike the wheels play a large part in that . It also has solid thru axles vs QD Skewers so I suppose that makes a difference as well .