View Single Post
Old 11-09-21, 02:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
If we go back to the opening post, even the one study linked in article doesn't state what the author suggests. (In Slate: "Twenty-eight states repealed their helmet laws, with one prominent advocate claiming that motorcycle helmets actually increased the likelihood of neck injuries.") In reality, the conclusion of the cited article begins: "Over the past 30 years, helmet law advocates have gathered a mountain of evidence to support their claims that helmet laws reduce motorcycle accident fatalities and severe injuries. Thanks to the rounds of helmet law repeals, advocates have been able to conclusively prove the converse as well: helmet law repeals increase fatalities and the severity of injuries" (Jones and Bayer 2007).
I think the article linked to the wrong reference. What was linked to wasn't what "one prominent advocate claiming" (it was something else entirely).

A few people in the helmet thread repeatedly made claims that bicycle helmets increased injuries. So, it wouldn't surprise me that some motorcyclists believe the same sort of thing.

Note that this thread isn't about the merits of bicycle helmets. I don't care whether that is discussed but the moderators certainly do care. So don't discuss the merits or not of wearing helmets here.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-09-21 at 02:43 PM.