scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Gloves for rainy 30s to 50s?

The title says it all.. I have decided to get back to my old habit of commuting in rainy weather. I did a commute in the rain yesterday and forgot how much fun it is. I have good rain gear for top, bottom and feet but don't have anything for my hands. What I used to do in the past was to wear neoprene mitts I used for winter windsurfing, but they are pretty clunky on the bike. Or just wear gloves meant for colder weather which will get drenched but still keep hands sort of warm.

In looking around I see lots of "waterproof" gloves which in reading reviews get panned for actual rain use. The Showers Pass Crosspoint Waterproof Knit Wool Gloves seem to be one exception, people find them pretty waterproof. There are also a few bike-specific neoprene gloves, like the water ones but made for bikes by Bontrager, Castelli, etc. I also see some neoprene gloves made for water but which look like they should work fine on a bike. The idea of neoprene is your hands get wet, but you are insulated by a layer of warm water. Assos makes some rain gloves they say are "better than neoprene", the RSR Thermo. I expect there are some BarMitts/Pogies that would do a good job but I don't want to be taking them on/off all the time and a rain ride is a once-or-twice-a-month thing for me. Maybe there is also some thin shell outer glove to put over regular gloves? I could not find any such thing though.