Old 11-14-22, 07:06 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The title says it all.. I have decided to get back to my old habit of commuting in rainy weather. I did a commute in the rain yesterday and forgot how much fun it is. I have good rain gear for top, bottom and feet but don't have anything for my hands. What I used to do in the past was to wear neoprene mitts I used for winter windsurfing, but they are pretty clunky on the bike. Or just wear gloves meant for colder weather which will get drenched but still keep hands sort of warm.

In looking around I see lots of "waterproof" gloves which in reading reviews get panned for actual rain use. The Showers Pass Crosspoint Waterproof Knit Wool Gloves seem to be one exception, people find them pretty waterproof. There are also a few bike-specific neoprene gloves, like the water ones but made for bikes by Bontrager, Castelli, etc. I also see some neoprene gloves made for water but which look like they should work fine on a bike. The idea of neoprene is your hands get wet, but you are insulated by a layer of warm water. Assos makes some rain gloves they say are "better than neoprene", the RSR Thermo. I expect there are some BarMitts/Pogies that would do a good job but I don't want to be taking them on/off all the time and a rain ride is a once-or-twice-a-month thing for me. Maybe there is also some thin shell outer glove to put over regular gloves? I could not find any such thing though.
You wouldn't believe it but I have a cheapo pair of amazon off brand Inbike gloves that have served me and continue to serve me well down to about 30' rain or shine. I wore them for my first ever century on a day that started in the mid 30's in the rain and went up to high 60's but after a certain temp took them off as I got warm needing to de-layer later in the day. That's what happens on really long rides you go through different weather and need to put on or peel off layers.

We live in a world and partake in a hobby where price is quality. It's not linear and you don't need the most expensive thing but shocked how something one or two rungs from the bottom of the price range works so well, feels so comfortable for centuries (plural), keeps me warm and feel OK even wet. For the record I purchased them the fall of 2019 so they are 3 years old and still in pretty good shape. I gave them away as gifts to many cyclists I know and they too are shocked, most of which wear a set summer clothing (bib and shirt) that cost more than a Walmart bike.