Old 01-31-22, 08:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem is that you don’t understand your point. I suspect that you have seen water freeze in the shade on a day where it is 35°F with winds. You’ve probably seen water freeze without the wind blowing. The temperature is different depending on where the temperature is measured. If you were to design your experiment better, yes, you could freeze the water when the air temperature is 35°F but it would need to be insulated from other heat sources (like the air and, yes, sun). Blow wind over it and it will cool…even to the point of freezing. Put the glass in a shaded area where it doesn’t pick up as much energy from the sun and it could freeze as well.
Honestly, there's too much to unpack in this paragraph, but I'll be very clear: a glass of water in the shade (or at night) placed on a table (not on the ground) with not freeze until the air temp is below freezing.

The only time water freezes in the shade, with air temps above freezing, is ground temp, it has nothing to do with wind chill. If the ground is frozen, the thermal transfer will freeze water in direct contact the ground. In fact, this is why when I'm winter camping, I focus on a sleeping mat with a high R-value... it's not the winds, I'm in a tent, it's the ground temp. I feel like you understand this.

In other words: the air temp is the coldest it will get, no matter what the wind is doing. The wind will cool your exposed skin, or that glass of water, to the air temp faster than it would cool with still winds, but the lowest temp is always the air temp. And how much exposed skin do you have at temps below freezing?

You have said it and made my point earlier: wind chill is a thing, but not the headline the weather forecast ALWAYS makes it. Winter comfort is based on many factors, wind is part of the equation, but far down the list of things I think about when preparing for my daily winter ride and rarely factors into my clothing choices.

You don’t wear different clothes when it is 30°F than when it is 0°F? Do you wear your wind blocking vest and pants when it is 30°F or only when the temps get colder? Most cyclists already wear more wind blocking layers when it is cold than people walking do. I wonder why that is?
See post 21: .... once temps are around 20F/-7C, my wind blocking layers do not change ... even at temps down to -30F/-34C. One wind blocking layer is all you need, OTOH the layers of wool will increase as the mercury falls.
See post 14 for information about quality bike-specific winter wind-blocking kit. With a lifetime of winter activities in Minnesota cold, including thousands of miles of winter biking, I've found some great gear and brands I trust ... and found some that is worthless too.
In summation: dressing for the air temp in the winter should* take care of any wind chill factor. (see Bob Collins blog post) *[poor quality winter gear might fail this rule of thumb]

So you don’t understand what a “discussion” is? You are under no obligation to respond. You are welcome to pontificate and then run off and never say anything more about the issue. I, on the other hand, like discussions. Occasionally, I learn something from them.
You might learn something, and from my side of the keyboard, that's be something new and fun to see.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-31-22 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo