View Single Post
Old 08-21-22, 06:50 PM
Hinge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You can sometimes find the Samsonite Oyster in second hand stores, or on E-Bay.
If I recall correctly, the Oyster suitcases are quite narrow. Maybe around 8" or 9" internally which makes it tough to fit your average 20" folder, but maybe it's possible.

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations...

I didn't know the the Zizzo suitcase existed. It looks great. $150 seems pretty reasonable. I wonder how rigid the whole thing is. I think you would still want to put some kind of post through the center (pvc pipe for example) to prevent crushing.

The ability to pack the bike without major disassembly sounds VERY appealing. The last thing you want to do when traveling is spend your first and last days unpacking and packing your bike! Depending on how cautious you are, packing a bike into a Flite 31 can be a rather time consuming process. I know others do it fairly quickly, but It takes me forever, but I definitely go completely overboard on padding everything and I disassemble the bike quite a bit.

Aside from the size, the other concern I would have is that the case itself is 23.5 lbs. Lots of 20" folders are in the 25 lb ballpark. This would put you quite close to the 50 lb airline limit with no room for extra stuff.

Food for thought

Last edited by Hinge; 08-21-22 at 06:57 PM.