View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 12:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Just remember that one of the reasons people die of diseases like cancer these days is that they now live long enough to die from such diseases! Back when we lived more simply, people died at much younger ages and so we never had saw these diseases that kill people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and beyond. Now we've managed to develop our societies in ways that have added decades to our life expectancy. We may have had those diseases all along, or we may 'create' them through the industrialization of society, but overall, we're still coming out with much longer lifespans than when we lived the simple life.
The evidence from pre-agriculture suggests people existed in tribes that limited their populations to what their environment could sustain and those that did achieve adulthood often lead long, healthy lives. That all that changed with agriculture, people owning land and needed a growing population to have bodies to farm it. Health and longevity decreased with agriculture. Longevity has come back with medicine but that does not mean we are living better than pre-agriculture humans.

Edit: and to topic - there is no reason you have to have double toestraps to have two toestraps on a pedal. I raced Smugglers Notch BITD with two pairs of Bindas. I cannot recall how i ran the torward strap but it was whatever we all did that ran double. (Might be able to find photos of track riders running them.)

And second edit: I plead guilty to answering and ancient post.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-06-22 at 12:29 AM.