Old 11-25-22, 01:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Oh, but if those rails were magnesium...
Originally Posted by Hondo6
That would certainly have the potential to make this a really hot thread . . . .
Well, since the seatpost thing seems to have run its course, I'll just add this regarding magnesium burning...
When I was a kid, my parents got me a subscription to something called Things of Science, which came once a month and had stuff that was interesting to science nerd types. One of these kits had a strip of magnesium metal in it. I don't remember the topic of this particular kit, but I do remember it involved setting the magnesium on fire. The strip was about 2mm x 0.25mm and a couple inches long. It took a while to get the Mg to ignite, but once going, holy spotlight, Batman! It was such an intense white light you couldn't look at it. I got several burns out of it; my friends were impressed. I always wondered how safe it was for aircraft to have magnesium parts in their landing gear.