3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
PubMed defines Exercise Addiction, “The findings suggest that an individual who is addicted to exercise will continue exercising regardless of physical injury, personal inconvenience or disruption to other areas of life including marital strain, interference with work and lack of time for other activities. 'Addicted' exercisers are more likely to exercise for intrinsic rewards and experience disturbing deprivation sensations when unable to exercise”

Hopefully this doesn’t sound too familiar to most of you/us. It certainly defines the subject of this thread.

I did have a bit of this in my early 30s when I had a bad marriage and didn’t like my job. As a result I buried myself in being on the bike when I was not working or asleep. Now I love my job (retired) and my spouse - and can get as little or much of cycling as I want and still live life.
...that's interesting. For me it was a completely soul crushing job, in Merced California ( a Central Valley town that experienced four straight months of overcast and fog every winter, back when climate was normal here.) My (now ex-) wife was living and going to school at Davis, so that wasn't swell. And I was the AFGE union guy for the Modesto district. I worked out a routine of cycling everywhere, running at night on the creek trail, and swimming laps and weight circuit training after work every evening, over at the community college. I only used the car for drives to Davis, which became les and less frequent.

It worked, because my next job was working for the Sacramento Fire Department. But I'm not sure how many more years I could have kept up that routine.