Old 12-11-22, 11:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Ebikes are more prone to underinflation simply because the ebike driver (I didn't say cyclist) never notices a difference.

This is why most vehicle drivers rarely check air pressure. It doesn't put them out of breath.

Oh yes, I have seen ebikes out there where I can tell they only have about 10-15 psi in the tyres.

A cyclist that regularly does 15 miles daily would notice almost immediately that the tyres feel wrong as they are pedalling more watts.

This isn't some trip to the corner store half mile away. If I knew I was going to do 15 miles of pedalling, for sure I would top up my tyres. I always do.
I check my tires regularly but with my Schwalbe Super Moto-Xs 650bx2.4 I am probably pumping once a month and not because I am letting them run deflated but they lose very little PSI with pretty standard inner tubes and I have a separate Topeak gauge and one on the pump. Thicker sidewalls and treads tend to lead to less air being able to escape. I am usually at 40-45psi as Hank Hill would say "firm with just a little give"

I do notice as well but sometimes I get paranoid because of my suspension fork feeling so plush, which I also keep properly inflated and check more often than I need to maybe.

Not saying I disagree there are plenty of people who run with low pressure e-bike or not car or not.