Old 12-15-22, 10:25 PM
fricker61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus907efi
I have been over the past day or two compiling a list of the serial numbers off of various Vitus 979 and Carbone frames I have in my direct possession here or ones I have found via ebay.
I thought this might provide some insight into any serial number coding vis-a-vis production dates.
But so far based on the list of 19 serial numbers along with bike or frame pictures I do not see any rhyme or reason to the numbering.
I have discovered that there seems to be a pattern of a leading single letter of either E, F, A, or I followed by 6 numerals. Then on some of the Carbone frames underneath this on a separate line there might be an additional code of "SC"
BTW, these are all stamped into a leading edge of the under side of the bottom bracket lug next to the cable guide.

Is anyone else interested in either adding their serial number to my list or seeing said list?
Okay, I'll join in. I recently bought a Vitus 979, and I've been trying to figure out the age. Here are the details:

Serial # E099259
Grub screw seatpost
Bottle bosses on seat and downtube
Pump peg on head tube
Shimano 600EX SIS 6-speed group with 1986 date codes
It appears to have only had the VITUS decal with horizontal stripes on the top tube, and the 979 decals on the fork, and MAYBE on the down tube, hidden by a shop sticker

I hope this helps unravel the mystery in some small way.

Tim Fricker
Vienna VA USA

Likes For fricker61: