View Single Post
Old 02-20-22, 01:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I don't believe in Mandatory Helmets but I would never, anymore, ride without one.

"The King County Board of Health voted to repeal the helmet mandate because of accusations that the law was disproportionately enforced against people of color and homeless people."

Ok... I'll put in... Maybe this is the Right Execution but for The Wrong Idea. Did I get that right?

Whats odd here is the Health Board is concerned about a law being enforced. So they got rid of the law. Did I get that right?

Just everybody knows that in Seattle it is Unhealthy for people of color and the homeless to ride without a helmet. Naw... I did not get that right...

Am I confused?

Yes, you are. If the law is being selectively enforced against homeless people and members of certain racial groups, it's obvious that it's primarily serving as a pretext to harass people, and its enforcement has nothing to do with "health". It's also quite reasonable for the Board of Health to conclude that the likelihood of someone getting seriously hurt during a police stop is greater than the likelihood that wearing a helmet will prevent a serious injury, or that mandatory helmet laws don't actually significantly increase helmet use. Since they created the law in the first place, it's definitely their call to determine whether it should be repealed.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-20-22 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For livedarklions: