Old 12-05-22, 11:17 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Taking the above at face value, the problem with generalizations like this is that they move the focus from a meaningful consideration (cam rise) to one that isn't (internal/external). That invites endless arguments based on anecdotal experience, about the wrong issue. It also invites people to make decisions based on the wrong factors.

BTW - the water is even muddier because cams don't necessarilly have a constant rise slope. Many have decent throw, but start steep and end shallow so high rise is had with comparatively low hand force.

However, I agree with you that there are many examples of good execution of good design, and more than desirable of neither. My point is that the devil always hides in the details, which is why I prefer focusing on those.
I had no idea.

I had just assumed all external-cam skewers were inferior. I would have thought my Salsa ones were ok, until I tried a good internal cam skewer.

Can you give us an example of one that is as good as (say) an XT, Ultegra or Dura Ace internal-cam skewer?