Old 11-29-21, 04:13 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
My house is built between 2 other houses. So I share 2 walls with 2 different neighbours. The patios were separated by a low wall, but at some time the previous owner of my house, made his half of the wall taller and built a garage and left ugly bricks visible on the outside of the neighbour patio. My neighbour, when he got tired of the ugly sight, built a parallel wall against these bricks on his patio and made it more aesthetically pleasing. Problem is that this wall doesn't reach the top of my wall and seems it's not well sealed against it (or sealing has degraded over time, IDK as I've only been living here for 4 months), so water is flowing between both walls. Not a huge problem for him, as his wall is outside, but as I've said, on my side there's the garage.
A few pics would be nice, but if you have brick and water is getting on the brick, then you are going have problems, because it is drying from the outside to the inside of your garage. 75% humidity is going to become a problem for any metal sitting out there in it after a few years.
I would seal the wall as best you can to stop the water penetration. Then maintain it on a schedule. Maybe eventualy come up with a plan to resolve the water issue (where does the water go when it gets to the bottom of the wall?). Next seal the garage as best you can, including chimney, Avoid open holes to the outside. Avoid any insulation that is a vapor barrier. Unless you spray foam the back of your brick or bebuild your walls with vapor barrier on the outside, don't try to control the vapor, without proper drying, that is when mold builds, along with organic material. I think sealing off outright holes and the chimney is good, maybe adding non-vapor barrier insulation to areas that need it and DO NOT GET MOIST, then you can run a dehumidifier without attempting to dehumidify the outside world all the time.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics