Old 05-27-22, 07:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
koala logs Sounds like you got a super break with the chain line falling just right And, yes, the gift of know-how mechanics saves a lot of moolah!

The Clutch Derailleur is a known (and interesting) variant to/for me. I put this thread in commuting, because this is what I primarily do with my old mtb. However, I do go off road as needed. Nothing like the true MTBers. I approached chain retention with a Narrow-Wide Chain Ring. This has sufficed through pot holes, the rare curb jump off, and lightly root-ed trails. Do you think a clutch derailleur is needed with the NWCR? I doubt for my applications, but I am curious if ever finding myself on rougher terrain.

Interesting about reduced wear, as some articles I read asserted the opposite. Steeper chain lines and not spreading the load across 2-3 chain rings, instead of one. I am mentally prepared for that, and at the same time intrigued by what you said If your truth is stronger, I am a much happier man!

I have riser bars with a friction thumb shifter. Braking while shifting is not a problem with that setup either. I have no experience with drop bars/brifters, but sounds like they achieve similar, if not same, braking synergies.

Even if 1x turns out to be a "flavor of the month", much like finding a favorite dark chocolate, I will be happily sticking with my preferred ride
Likes For Digger Goreman: