View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 11:46 AM
Einzelherz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I find cycling a unique sport. All of us started with small miles, like you, and slowly kept pushing out the distance. After awhile I found doing new distances something to strive for. So four became 6 and 6 became 10 and so on. Having a destination is always a great idea. A favorite park, view, ice cream, friend’s house…. Always good to reward yourself until cycling becomes its own reward through fitness and weight loss for the determined of us. Now it gets weird. Cycling can be painful and punishing when taken to extremes or when one wants to really push the distance and speed. People actually look for hills to climb so they can get stronger and ride in all sorts of terrible weather, but those are the more extreme types (self included). You don’t need to go there. Just enjoy the freedom and the feeling of getting more fit and healthy. Throw in an ice cream or a beer as a reward and you should be golden.
My state is particularly bike unfriendly (imo) so I tend to still to developments and/or corporate parks. We have a lovely bike trail, but the two streets I have to cross to get to it are still daunting. But the bike trail does have multiple ice cream shops that are not far so...