View Single Post
Old 09-20-23, 04:15 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1,786 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've set up quite a few, with various tire/rim combinations. As you gain experience, you pick up little tricks that make it easier. The only ones I've ever struggled with were first time tire installations. In other words, after a tire has been mounted an inflated once, it never gives me trouble when I have to remove and remount it. The one that gave me the hardest time was a set of Gravel King SKs on WTB KOM rims.

One thing I've had happen a few times that is very frustrating: a tubeless tire is all set up and I've been riding on it with no trouble. I put it in the back of my car and leave it for a few hours or a day in hot weather (car interior reaches perhaps 120 degrees). The tire deflates and will not seal again until I remove it, add new sealant, and re-seat it. They don't explode, and there's no mess; they just leak down and then will not hold air. I've never had something like this happen with a tube, and I've not had many headaches with tubeless tires in use. I guess they're just sensitive to hot temps.
Is it possible that the tape gets over heated and loosens slightly with the heat exposure? Not having had my wheels in the car like that for an extended period of time, I have not experience this, but wonder if that could be the issue. Now, this assumes that you wipe everything down after you go to remount the tire, which could sort of then reseat the tape as well. Just thinking outside the proverbial box so to speak. However, that is odd.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 09-20-23 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling