View Single Post
Old 10-17-21, 02:24 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Grant is not correct about the simple old style side pull caliper brakes that are featured on the Kent GENESIS SABER / Kent GMC DENALI 700C 21 speed bicycles.
Properly adjusted, they do stop the bicycle better than the typical Raleigh, Schwinn, or any other marque employing Weinmann side pull calipers and the typical 40mm pad on their factory steel wheels. These Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC DENALI bikes are the exact same as already mentioned, as the licensing deal with General Motors ended. Grant does not know what he's talking about regarding these specific no-name side pulls seen on these particular Kent Genesis Saber & Kent GMC Denali bikes. Perhaps Grant himself does not know how to properly set-up a side pull caliper. I don't think this is the case. I believe is that Grant is only telling you half-truths to further bash without merit, the otherwise reasonably good quality at the lowest price spectrum, Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC Denali 700C 21 speed bicycles. Grant knows that the brake pad surface area on GMC Denali & GENESIS SABER bikes are considerably larger in surface area than the old 40mm size pads seen on ancient Vintage bikes. I contend that with decent pads installed and properly adjusted, the no-name side pull calipers WILL STOP Those Kent bikes as good or better than any 1970's era sidepulls with 40 mm size pads did on any aluminum wheel!! Sure, perhaps how the doofuses at Wallyworld assembled & set up the bike might not provide decent enough braking, but that isn't the fault of the equipment, as it is simply due to the imbecile who may have assembled the bike from the carton. Now, certainly the quality of the brake pads that come with the bike from the factory may be inexcuseably bad, compared with other potential replacement pads, or what they could have provided as original equipment pads. Certainly only a complete numbskull does not realize that better replacement brake pads can be obtained for about $15.
That is certainly less costly than changing the pedals or the seat. The Kent GMC Denali/ Kent Genesis Saber is a very durable, quality bicycle which provides a nice ride with good braking and excellent stable handling. Certainly at approx. 31 pounds total weight, it is not light but it does weigh about the same or less than some very popular 1970's Raleigh, Peugeot, and SCHWINN Le Tour models. The KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as the Kent GMC Denali) is a great value and a very solid bicycle which will last. Yes, it is incredible that WALLYWORLD does sell such a bicycle. Fifteen consecutive years of this bicycle being offered and hundreds of thousands sold, with most of them still in operation. It has proven to be the near-perfect bicycle for those who want to ride anywhere. Certainly, you can say that this bicycle is the 21st Century VARSITY, without the relatively expensive price tag of visiting the Schwinn dealer to purchase the VARSITY back then. Basic bicycles are relatively simple You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. You don't need a 23 pound or less bicycle if you're not needing to fly in a tri, or really feel the need for speed. Yeah, you might want a detailed weather report if you're planning on piloting your Cessna to Dallas later today, but if you're just needing to drive to the grocery store to buy milk, bananas, eggs, bread, and paper towels, you can usually just look out the window or step out on to the porch and look at the sky and see if any threatening weather is likely to impact during your drive to and from.
Those KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as Kent GMC Denali) bicycles do everything that any new basic bicycle from a LOCAL BIKE SHOP will do for the bicycle rider that is not intending to ride fast, and not trying to dance like Lance. For those bicycle consumers, the Kent Genesis Saber and Kent GMC Denali cannot be beat. It is an extraordinary value and a very decent bicycle at an incredible price and it is from WALLYWORLD!!
I just got the bike to ride the school. If the brake levers were really stiff so that is probably why it will not stop. There seems to be a lot of friction in the braking system. I'm gonna replace both cables and the levers on it today. I already threw some much nicer levers on this bike and I'm going to get rid of the original ones. Hopefully that will work.