Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
That I cannot answer. You will have to ask your mechanic. Sorry. [/COLOR]
No worries. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
By bottom bracket tube on the frame, I assume you mean the bottom bracket shell. Or at least that is what I call it. On spindle length, the goal here is to avoid getting the chainline too far off. If the chainline is off by 1 or 2mm, not a big deal, I would not worry about it. If however you wanted to try to get it spot on, maybe get a bottom bracket for a 73mm shell, then put shims on it so that it is centered. I have had good luck with the people at Velo Orange, you could call them and tell then you have an old Raliegh with Nottingham bottom bracket threads (the person on the phone may or may not know what that means) then talk about the offset and length issues and see what they say. I think they also sell the shims if you wanted to shim it. I am assuming that you can shim that particular bottom bracket, but I admit that I have never seen that bottom bracket so that would be something to ask about.

If it was me, I would quote 30 minutes on the wheels, but I am very slow and careful on spoke adjustments. Most others are faster than me, which might be why I am not working as a bike mechanic.

I have stuff that I pulled off bikes decades ago shoved away in boxes, after a while you figure out what is best to discard and what is worth hanging onto. But I never discard anything until the project is completed.
I like the shim idea, but there is no 73mm version. I'm gonna' order the BB now. I'll see once I get it. I can easily return it, but I think it'll be okay. Thanks for the estimate on the labor time.