View Single Post
Old 06-28-19, 10:24 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 262 Posts
I'm always leery of taking the lane while stopped. I look back and stare down approaching drivers like a pitcher with a base stealer on second. Still, you can never be 100% certain they see you and are gonna stop, but I at least make sure they are slowing down substantially. If traffic is light and I'm not in a hurry, I will sometimes sit at the curb and wait for a light, it's probably safer than taking the lane in that situation anyway.
I use the proper lane position so that approaching traffic knows what I intend to do. I don't just take the lane I hand signal and make eye contact with other road users. Even if you intend to make a right turn hugging the curb creates a situation were motorists believe they can pass you and cut across your path. I am usually not the first one at a busy intersection and follow through the turn behind a car past the stop line clear of the intersection before going to the right. There is no bike lane at the intersection for a good reason. It is too dangerous to be to the right of traffic that is going to turn. A good reference to how to bicycle is Bicycling Street Smarts. Some states use it in there vehicle code for bicycles. I see people on bicycles enter the right turn lane, hug the curb and then continue straight. I have seen people get ticketed for this and totally approve of the police writing tickets for improper lane position because it dangerously interferes with other road users. I am not saying there is no reason to fear some irresponsible road user. When I first started bicycling it was intoxicated people who were a major problem. Now it is the electronic distraction crowd. Example: The coed who ran into the parked patrol car 2 seconds after the officer stepped out of it to go to a domestic dispute. After checking her phone she admitted to texting and sending a selfie to her friend.