Old 07-06-19, 08:04 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I even have tattoo's and a sweet sweet beard

The bike is definitely fun but takes some getting used to in terms of speed - it's slow and the gearing/geometry is sort of like chopping wood instead of graceful pedaling.
It's a bike one might ferry to a start point to do an offroad trip instead of riding a long distance on. I bought it in anticipation of some trips next year like the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway), Great Sand Hills in Sask and Cypress Hills in AB/Sask. Plus we have endless wilderness logging roads in BC.

I tried riding the Great Sand Hills a year ago with Schwalbe 1.75's and could make very little headway and began thinking of a fat bike then. I had some time off recently and was going to go on a trip but felt burnt out so I stayed home and spent my vacation money on the bike instead to set myself up down the road.
thats interesting about the riding "feel" and the chopping wood comment. The times I have ridden past them, the sound of the tires on each pedal stroke has a clear "wfruu wfruu wfruu" cadence to it that the chopping wood choice of words kinda sums up.

but hey, like you say, it comes down to a horses for courses sort of thing, and they clearly work and have the advantage over soft and rough that outweighs the negatives, I guess its just a questino of picking and choosing when to use them.