Old 10-22-20, 07:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do you consider the FG "feature" - you can't bail out with a lower gear on a Single Speed. You have to muscle it or walk - a positive attribute for bicycle riding?

It's a motivational factor getting you to work harder. By your logic, riding a bicycle without an engine is a design flaw as one can't bail out to assist or take over.

I've ridden single speed over long distance, there's some fun to it, but I enjoy the versatility of geared bikes more. I have no desire to try a FG at this stage of my life, but "it's harder" doesn't strike me as irrational if one is attempting to maximize their effort and/or like technical challenges. People ride for different purposes, I can't imagine wanting to talk them out of their preferences except for when those preferences are actually endangering others. Don't get me started on people who ride on roads on FG without brakes, for example. That's not justifiable.
Likes For livedarklions: