gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Interesting because Cafe Trieste in North Beach was kind of a dive and only a slight step up from my hangout, The Saloon , around the corner on Grant Ave.
Yep, after my first trip to Europe on $25 a day I got hooked on cappuccino and espresso, got back stateside and found the North Beach place (which was the only one at the time). Buddy of mine went with and ordered a triple espresso (he'd never had anything more potent than Folgers prior), acted like he just snorted coke for a couple of hours. If you look on the interwebs you'll find 5 Cafe Trieste locations now, but the Sausalito one is now a different name, but same concept. BITD it was a beatnik hangout. Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsberg and others hung out there. The screenplay for the Godfather was written there. No one does that kind of thing anymore, it's too crowded (before times joke).

Last edited by gugie; 05-13-21 at 11:56 AM.