Old 07-25-21, 10:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
You should get bonus points if you leave the electrical tape wrapped foam coverings on the handlebars.
There are some lines even I can't bring myself to cross, and this is one of them!

Originally Posted by gugie
That fits the $$ rule, but I'd say it's not even a Clunker! That's just a rusty barn find that needs some TLC. Maybe a lot of TLC...

Seriously, that's worthy of stripping down, powder coating, and reassembly. Maybe a few parts get switched out, but that's a great find.
I'll mothball it for next year's challenge, which will give me time to think about it. I've had great little cycling epiphanies on far humbler bikes, and I think this one will turn out nicely. If memory serves, it's all plain gauge True Temper 4130, built in Greenville Mississippi, and for the price I'm not gonna go too far wrong. I'll probably get attached to it, too, because I always feel bad for the really abused ones.

Today's ride, however, was a joy - the Sirrus, shod with Gatorskins that still have flashing on the treads, feels lovely on the open road. Somehow, even really bumpy tarmac is manageable on those skinny 23s. The Selle Italia Mundialita saddle is a pleasant surprise - though it shouldn't be, the Selle Italia Grand Prix that came to me on the '75 Motobecane that was my 2016 entry is still in use and still comfy, too. I still need to see if I can fine tune the shifting, as a certain amount of trimming and tweaking is still needed to quiet things down.

It's not a quiet ride, though that is not the bike's fault - my 23-year-old Diadoras make all sorts of noise as unused cleat mounting hardware rattles and clatters as I pedal. I'll need to deal with that, I think. They gave me my sole mechanical today when the right sole from the back of the cleat to the heel popped free. I rode home with my heel flapping, visions of glue in my head.

And now some pix!

Gravel + bike does NOT = gravelbike in this case!

Alongside the old People's Bank