Old 08-27-21, 07:07 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeseftw
Will I struggle to get correct pressure in my wheels with the small pump?
Well, in my experience a larger pump makes a significant difference, and being stored on the bike frame, doesn't take more space to carry. This being said, I've used my pump once 1 six weeks. So doesn't really matter much
Thanks again!

EDIT: Looking at the Esbit stove right now, looks very convenient and super cheap, too. Which one are you using exactly? How difficult is it to buy fuel tablets on the road? How much fuel do you go through per day? I'm looking at the Esbit Pocket Stove right now and I'm worried whether the performance will be sufficient for regular cooking without going through lots of fuel tablets.
I have this one. Actually, a Chinese knock off that I felt to be a tad better fit to support my kettle. WRT to fuel tablets - They come in a few sizes. 4g tablets are more expensive per gram but I felt they were more convenient (and less smelly) than the larger ones. I'd use the stove in the morning (oatmeal & coffee) and evening (ramen/couscous/etc. & tea) only. I used 3-4 tablets/day (16g). (This past Summer I've relied on Coghlans', larger and cheaper but probably not available in Europe and you can't carry them in your luggage -- 2 per day was usually enough). Look at Esbit's site to find retailers. I got some from Amazon.fr. You can easily carry 3 weeks worth of tablets with you and resupply after that if you find it convenient. (OCD ultralightists claim that a fuel tablet system beats propane for trips of less that 21 days (you don't carry a container). Probably underestimated, because most will carry a spare. Greatest benefit of fuel tablets is that you know exactly how much fuel is left. Greatest drawback is that boiling water requires patience (10 mins for 500ml or so).

Also, how's the Thermacell? Does it actually keep you mozzy bite free?
Fantastic. I was in Northern Ontario, where mosquitoes can be incredibly abundant (you kill 5 with one slap of the hand on your leg, and they are replaced by another squadron landing immediately afterwards). The thermacell essentially got rid of them. Not sure it is worth carrying one in Europe, but if you travel in bug-infested areas, thermacell is an excellent solution.

[All this being said, not to worry too much about this equipment thing -- it is the journey that matters. Things can be discarded or acquired along the way.]
Likes For gauvins: