View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 08:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Electronic shifting, disc brakes, 12-speed...none of that was foisted on us, it is because those of us who bought stuff in the last few years sent clear signals through our purchasing that we wanted those things. If you weren't buying, sure, you feel like it was forced on you, but don't get mad at Shimano, get mad at me.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So you claim that if people with bikes that work perfectly well had spent more money and consumed more, even though they didnt need to, we wouldnt have electronic shifting and disc brakes?
None of those things were foisted on people who are willing to spend $6000-$12,000 for a bike every other year. Some of us buy bikes which actually last for decades.

I have a CF race frame built up with full Ultegra 6800. had it since 2015. Why would I bother to buy a replacement which was $3000 more and a few grams lighter? Discs are fine (have them on two bikes) but certainly not necessary. Certainly not worth trying to replace a bike which is really good and works really well.

I am not mad at Shimano, not am I mad at people like @Badger6, who seems snide about his ability to spend more on bikes than most people spend on cars in a three-year period. And I realize that Shimano knows there are people with lots of money who feel the need to buy the "Latest, Greatest" whether or not it is actually any better ....

I know that other manufacturers will fill the void. I am pretty much planning on going with Microshift when they release their Ultegra 6800 or 8000 clone group set ... and they will , because there will be a market for it.